For some time I have planned to write a post about this amazing woman who I met on both our Everest Base Camp treks. Both our treks started out from her Paradise Lodge in Lukla after breakfast, after our early flight to Lukla. We stayed our last night in Lukla before our morning flights back to Kathmandu at the end of our treks.
This photo was taken after our evening meal in her lodge in October 2015. Due to the two earthquakes that year, it was a quiet night guest wise in the lodge and so she had some time to sit down and talk to me about her work in the Khumbu. The reason I knew to ask about her work in the community was because on our 2013 trek we found a hotel directory with some information about Dawa and her husband Ang Pasang.
I have taken the information from the directory.
Dawa Phuti Sherpa
- Born in Khunde
- First Sherpa woman from the Khumbu region to attend school
- Served as a nurse in the Khunde Hospital
- Served as a teacher in the Khumjung School (The Edmund Hilary School)
- Has been working in the hospitality industry for thirty years
- Chairperson of the women’s group
- Board member of the Himalayan Trust Nepal
- Board member of Pasang Lhamu Nique Hospital Lukla
- Recipient of the Friends of Khumbu
- Recipient of the Peace Ambassador
- Recipient of the Nava Durga award
Needles to say she is very busy with running the lodge and all the community work she continues to do. What better day than International Women’s Day, to acknowledge Dawa Phuti Sherpa’s wonderful work in the Khumbu both past and present.
Nava Durga Award in Nepal
Celebrates Womanhood started in 2002 as an annual event to celebrate the vision, inner beauty and power of women. The objective is to honour women in various fields of arts, education, sports, community service, health and industry and to applaud their dedication to their respective fields. Shrijana Singh Yonjan, the mind behind the event says that each award has been named after a goddess and the attribute she signifies. The awards recognise nine different fields of achievement (Nava Durga).
Leaving Lukla Memorial to Pasang Lhamu the first Nepalese woman to summit Everest.